Sunday, February 14, 2010

Feliz día de San Valentín!

What a lovely weekend in. I considered going out each of the nights this weekend, but each night I had a really strong sense that I really just ought to stay in and let my body heal a little more from its violent revolt last week. It’s hard to believe that only a week ago I was lying sick as a dog on a hostel bed in Italy, not even sure how I was going to get on the plane the next day. I promised myself I would take it easy this weekend, and I am really grateful I actually followed up on that promise. There are many more weekends to go out and cause trouble; this rainy, cold weekend was a good one to spend inside, bonding with Concha and letting my stomach heal. Even just last night it was feeling a little punky, so I think tea and cookies were a better plan than beer and tapas. Just maybe. :P

Saturday afternoon, Concha and I looked through all my pictures of Morocco and Venice, and then she asked to see pictures from home, so I showed her a lot of pictures from the last few years, either at home or at Scripps. It made me miss you guys a lot. She loved the Melissa/Alayna/Kate/Kelsey pictures from the end of Freshman year—remember those? And she also loved the ones that Matt took of me and of Bellingham this past summer. And she commented on how much Heath looks like Mom, and Mom looks like me, and I look like Dad, haha. And we both commented on how beautiful I look with my natural haircolor, actually. She said, “I like you as a redhead, and I really like you as a brunette, but I think my favorite is when your hair is this nice honey color, how did you do that?” Haha! I was struck by how much I like the way I look with my natural, weird, indefinable hair color as well. I’ve been having a lot of fun playing with colors and stuff, but I think maybe I’ll want to graduate college looking as naturally ME as possible. So maybe this summer we’ll start the transition back to that. We’ll see. You know me; I change my mind at the drop of a hat when it comes to things like this. :P

Oh my, will you look at that. It’s Valentine’s Day. I hope you all have had or are having a wonderful Valentine’s Day. I feel like I should do something to at least recognize the day as it passes. I remember what an absolutely wonderful day it was for me last year. Oh, you know what? Here’s what I’ll do. I’ll make a playlist of songs I’ve been listening to a lot lately so that, if you want, you can go listen to them and feel closer to me, knowing we’re listening to the same music even though we’re thousands of miles apart. Goofy, but I like it. Ok, here goes.
1. Hush Now – Catherine Feeny
2. Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? – She & Him
3. All I Do is Dream of You – Michael Bublé (I definitely dance around my room to this)
4. Rain – Bishop Allen (Every time I get caught outside in the rain, this pops into my head)
5. I’ll Be Seeing You – Billie Holiday
6. Where does the good go? – Tegan and Sara
7. At Least that’s What You Said – Wilco
8. Runaway Train – Soul Asylum
9. For Me, It’s You – Train
10. I Still Don’t Believe You – Catherine Feeny
11. Everything Will Be Alright – The Killers
12. Show Me the Reason – The Cash Brothers
13. Midnight Coward – Stars
14. Portions for Foxes – Rilo Kiley
15. Weakest Shade of Blue – The Pernice Brothers
16. Barcelona – Rufus Wainwright
17. Singing in the Rain – Jaime Cullum (I love this version of this song)
18. I Can’t Stay – The Killers
19. Undecided – The Magic Numbers
20. Perfectly Lonely – John Mayer
21. No Sé Por Qué – Chayanne (Memories from Costa Rica…)
22. Come Downstairs and Say Hello – Guster
23. Quiero Saber – Gypsy Kings
24. War of My Life – John Mayer
25. Volver – Estrella Morente

Ok, so, in looking at this list from an objective perspective, I look like I’m really depressed and heartsick. Hahaha! Don’t worry, I’m not, I just like these songs. And I’ve been having fun looking through my music to find stuff that I haven’t listened to in a long time which I really loved at one point in my life. Also, for some reason, I find that listening to sad music makes me happier sometimes.

I swear to god, you guys, I just really love these songs!

Speaking of music, Concha has a huge library of Jazz and classical and pop music, and she’s letting me put it ALL on my computer. Yay! Homework looks like a lot more fun when I have tons of new, good music to accompany it.

So, uh, happy Valentine’s Day! :P I love you all very much—will you be my Valentines? ;)

Pura vida y mucho amor,

Kelsey

PS. If you want to break your own heart, or someone else’s, for that matter, I recommend the song “Ne Me Quitte Pas”—there are many versions out there, just youtube it. Concha’s favorite version is by Nina Simone. I can’t decide which my favorite is. Just thought I’d share, in honor of V-Day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. i just downloaded and made a playlist of those songs :) I'm a sucker for music; if you share any on here, i'll probably spend the next couple days listening to it. I also just want to say that i adore your taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy, April, I'm glad you like my music taste. I'm working on a new playlist as we speak!! It's mostly jazz, some opera, some Flamenco... I'll try to have it up by next week. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete