Friday, April 2, 2010

La Belle France!

Bonjour a tous!

I just got back from visiting friends in Nantes and Paris, France, and although I am happy to be home in Granada, I had the MOST wonderful time in France. I think that going back to France for Spring Break may have been the best idea I’ve had so far this year.

I took a bus to Madrid, and flew from there to Paris, where I had lunch with Kristin (who lived in the same town as me in Costa Rica) and her friend before hopping on a train to Nantes to be with Nora for the weekend. As soon as I got off the plane in Paris, I felt incredibly comfortable and at home, which surprised me, because I am completely unfamiliar with Paris and Nantes. However, all little cafés, the wrought-iron balconies, and of course, all the French being spoken felt SO much like Aix to me. And as much as I may have kind of struggled through my semester in Aix, it WAS home for four months, and I must say, my French is a LOT better than I thought it was. This is something I would never hear myself say, but I can express myself pretty darn well in French! So that was exciting to realize. :)

I had a fantastic weekend in Nantes with Nora. On Friday and Saturday nights, Nora sang in a choir concert, which was absolutely lovely and I adored. I LOVE concerts like that—mostly unaccompanied group singing in beautiful churches—and I discovered that it’s particularly beautiful in French… maybe it’s just that I can appreciate the phrasing and how delicate the language sounds, but I can also understand (for the most part) the meaning of the song. Anyways, it was a great way to spend those two evenings. During the day on Saturday, Nora and I explored the castle and the cathedral, both of which are awesome, but the cathedral in particular was breathtaking and moving.

Can I pause for a moment and say how hard it is to express myself in English nowadays??? It sounds so awkward, and I only have a few sentence constructions that come easily to mind, which makes my writing sound elementary and repetitive. Egad. Boy am I glad I don’t have to write my thesis in English, what a disaster THAT would be. :P

Anyways, I also got to meet a few of Nora’s friends in Nantes, and they were all SO wonderful and fun; I didn’t want to leave, I was having such a great time. On Sunday, we had lunch with Nora’s host mom and then two of Nora’s friends joined us for dessert and a game of Trivial Pursuit, which was definitely an adventure. I most certainly did not win, but I DID learn that Robinson Crusoe was stuck on his island for over 28 years.

Also, Sunday was apparently a holiday or festival in honor of the camellia, Nantes’ special flower, of which is has upwards to 500 varieties (or something crazy like that). Nora and I took a lovely stroll through the Jardin des Plantes and enjoyed watching these funky, big-footed birds chase each other around the daffodils and camellias. It was a really great weekend, all in all, and I was sad to leave on Monday morning; I couldn’t imagine Paris being fun after such a lovely city such as Nantes.

As soon as I got to my hostel and met up with my friend, Elisa, however, I realized how wrong I’d been. I had SUCH a blast in Paris!! Our hostel was in Montmartre, the old artistic/bohemian hill neighborhood in the northern part of Paris. We walked a few blocks south and found the Moulin Rouge; a few blocks north and we were at Sacré Coeur. Elisa and I didn’t have any plans for that first day, but by the end of it, we’d seen actually quite a lot of Paris: the Moulin Rouge, Sacré Coeur and a gorgeous view of the city, the Louvre (although it’s impossible to ever say you’ve “seen” the Louvre after only one day), Place de la Concorde (where people were beheaded during the revolution; also home to the Obelisk), Jardin des Touileries, the Champs-Elysées and L’Arc de Triomphe, and to finish off a fabulous day, a picnic dinner under the Eiffel Tower, which sparkled every hour. By the end of this first day, I was absolutely enamored with the city. The atmosphere, the history, the winding sidestreets and wide boulevards, the petits cafés and thousands of bouquinistes (used bookstores)—it’s hard to believe that Paris is real, it is truly SO magical.

The second day, we got up at 7 am so we could get an early start to a busy day. First, we went to Cimitière Père Lachaise, the cemetery where a lot of very famous people are buried, including Jim Morrisson and Oscar Wilde. Of course, I insisted on kissing Oscar’s Tomb, even though I think Elisa thought I was bonkers. I have photographic proof of my kiss, which, I am happy to say, left a mark! Thank god I always travel with red lipstick, just in case…
Next, we went across town to see the Catacombs, which were eerie, barely lighted, and damp. It was super creepy, but also very very cool and interesting. Inside the catacombs, there are a lot of plaques with quotes related to death, and I had fun trying to translate for Elisa. After the catacombs, we walked up towards the Latin Quarter, passing through the Luxembourg Gardens to get there. We peeked at La Sorbonne and wandered the streets enjoying the ambiance before grabbing a couple sandwiches and tartelettes and installing ourselves in front of Notre Dame on l’île de la Cité to eat our lunch. The pigeons were super aggressive, and often very gross-looking, too, but we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless. I adore Notre Dame, especially her backside, so we walked all the way around before continuing to our next destination—the Bastille. To get there, we walked along the Quai d’Orleans on the Île St. Louis, then up a lovely boulevard that lead right to the Bastille. It’s a very impressive monument, but beside it is something quite funny—the Opera Bastille, which was built rather recently and has been criticized for looking too modern, and is nicknames the Toilet because it looks a lot like the public bathrooms you can find on Parisian streetcorners. After those adventures, we took a little break before meeting up with Kristin for another Eiffel Tower picnic dinner.

My third day in Paris was the most peaceful, mostly due to the fact that I was on my own for much of the day and spent much of it in museums. I started off in the Latin Quarter again because I loved it so much, then went to the Musée Rodin followed by the Musée d’Orsay. These were by far my favorite museums in Europe so far. Rodin is my favorite sculptor, and his museum was very well done, as were the gardens surrounding it filled with copies of his most famous works. I remember the Rodin exhibit that came to the Bellingham Museum a few years ago, and I have to say, I am really impressed with how good of an exhibit that was. The Musée d’Orsay was fantastic as well—if you know anything of my taste in art, you know how much I adore impressionism, and so this museum was heaven for me. I wrote down the names of artists I saw and liked there of all different styles, so go look these guys up: Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Henri-Edmund Cross (pointillisme), Renoir, Pissarro, Degas, Manet, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Alfred Sisley, Monet, and Georges Seurat. Wandering through these two museums was a wonderful way to spend the majority of my last day in Paris. I spent the afternoon and early evening back in Montmartre enjoying the neighborhood, had a simple dinner at an adorable bistrot, and then met up with Kristin and her roommate to go out for a drink. We went to a little Irish pub near their apartment, and it was pretty deserted, but we got to meet an adorable little doggy, which really made my Parisian experience complete. :)

The trip back was a little miserable—I had to get up at 4 am and didn’t get home to Granada until about 6 pm or so, but I was able to sleep a bit on the bus from Madrid to Granada, so it was alright. I arrived in the midst of Semana Santa celebrations, which I will have to blog about later, but oh boy, it is CRAZY here in Granada—so many people!!

Hasta pronto, besitos a todos,
Kelsey

3 comments:

  1. awesome... truly inspiring... I may run away to paris now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had so much fun in Paris like I did:) It was nice to read it because I forgot so many of the names of the things we saw. I totally loved it and hanging with you and Kristin was the highlight of my trip! I miss you and TQM

    <3 Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisa!!! Te echo MUCHO de menos--me alegre que hemos podido tener esa reunión a Paris. :) TQM siempre, guapa.

    ReplyDelete