Sunday, March 7, 2010

Close Encounters of the Spanish Kind...

I realized the other day that I forgot to mention something that happened on the bus to Toledo—or, well, the bus from Granada to Madrid, but our ultimate goal was Toledo. About twenty minutes into the five hour trip, there was a commotion in the aisle next to me and Nora (I was by the window, Nora by the aisle), and people started shouting for the bus driver to stop. I couldn’t see what had happened in the aisle from my seat, so I was confused, but when the bus pulled over, I sort of peeked over Nora and saw that a guy was laying face-down in the aisle. Apparently, he just slumped over and fell into the aisle. A couple of guys got him turned over and eventually he stood up with their help and they took him outside. When he was turned over and I saw his face, he looked so sad. He was crying, and just looked really sad. There was a med student on the bus that went outside with them, and someone ran to a gas station to get a bottle of water for him, and then we just waited for an ambulance to get there to take him somewhere to get checked out. It was kind of a surreal experience, but I’m glad it happened on a bus rather than a plane or something like that where you can’t just pull over. I was also impressed that everyone was so helpful and patient. So that was our little unplanned adventure on the way to Toledo. I hope he’s ok, poor guy.

This weekend has been a whirlwind and a workout! On Friday, I walked up to the Albaycín with Luis and Jocy to watch the sunset on the Alhambra and see all the lights come on and such. It was really fun to hang out with them and just sit and talk and watch the light change over the cityscape. We were sitting on this ledge-wall-thing that divides the lookout from the street below, which has a pretty big drop to the street. I’m afraid of heights, so I was sitting on the edge of the wall that was on the lookout side and trying not to look down at all on the other side, because it made my head spin. Luis and Jocy were on either side of me, and both were sitting with their feet dangling over the street-side, and every once in awhile one of them would forget they were sitting so close to the edge and be like, “Wow, I almost lost my balance, haha!” I kept getting nervous for them and like grabbing their arm in panic that they were going to fall over; it was actually really hilarious, but I was definitely relieved when we got up and moved away from the wall, haha.

That night, I went out with them and this other guy from our program, Russell, and these other Americans from a different program who were really nice and fun. We went to a tapas bar, and then to this bar called L’Scandelo where we’ve been developing a relationship with the bartenders and we get really cheap (sometimes free) drinks. Most nights, nothing extraordinarily exciting happens, but that night, I had two rather interesting encounters. First, this bachelorette party arrives and the bride approaches us to ask me and Jocy to help her do a puzzle. She’s probably in her mid-forties, and her friends had four different little challenges for her to do over the night, the first of which was the puzzle. Next, she had to get five people to jump rope—and yup, you guessed it, we helped her with that one, too! That was definitely the most interesting challenge, just because everyone had been drinking for at least a few hours at that point—and the bride was very drunk—so our coordination was not fantastic. I’ll let you imagine for yourselves the hilarity that ensued. Next, they had a little toy dartboard with magnetic darts and they split us Americans up into two teams of three and had us compete, with free shots as our reward. Of course, the bride was basically in love with us by then, and she ended up buying shots for all of us. Her last challenge was to get us all to sing a song in Spanish, which was almost impossible, because almost none of us knew any songs in Spanish, and we ended up kind of faking along with “Estas son las mañanitas…” which was hilarious.

My second interesting encounter was after the bride and her entourage left, and I was starting to think seriously about going home for the night since I had early morning plans. This random guy came over and started talking to me and Jocy and another girl (who was it at that point? I can’t remember her name, an American girl I’d just met that night). He was from Madrid and only in Granada for the weekend, and he said he was going to give us Spanish lessons, at which point I was already like, ok, sketchy man, whatever. Our first “lesson” was the two-kiss-on-the-cheek thing, which I was also wary of, but definitely expecting, since that is trick #1 that you learn to spot as a gringa (or guiri, as we’re called here) around sketchy Spanish guys. So he did the kisses with Jocy, and then with me, and then all of a sudden he had a hold of one of my arms and his other arm around my waist and was talking in my ear, saying, “Wow, just those two cheek kisses and I’m already in love with you!” So I’m like leaning back away from him, but he has me by the waist so I can’t exactly move away (don’t worry, I didn’t feel unsafe—this guy was a sketchmeister for sure, but he wasn’t dangerous, especially when I had a few good guy friends a few feet away if I needed them, so I was just kind of amused, and definitely not scared). He told me he was going skiing the next day and wanted me to come with him, and I just said, nope, I don’t ski, while still trying to subtly worm my way away from him. As he was wheedling and asking me why I was soooo busy I couldn’t spend the day with him, I got my hand free—success! After about five minutes of bantering back and forth and him saying, “come on come on come on!” and me saying, “no no no!” he said, “ok, I’ll give you thirty seconds to come up with a decent excuse not to come up to the mountains with me tomorrow” and backed away a tiny bit. As soon as his arm wasn’t around my waist anymore, bam, in swooped one of my new guy friends (Ryan, I’d just met him that night, but I think I might have a class with him?) and, taking my hand, leaned over and said, “Hey, are you ok?” I was kind of still reeling from Intense Madrid Man, so I just kind of smiled and nodded my head slightly, and he was like, “Are you sure?” And I just squeezed his hand and was like, “Well, UM.” And he totally took over the situation, stepped in front of me and engaged the Madrid guy in conversation for a few minutes, after which the guy said goodbye, looked at me kind of disappointedly, and left the bar with his friend. I was like, holy crap, I need to go out with you more often, new friend!! I mean, I could have eventually gotten rid of the guy, but when I’m a few drinks in, really tired, my Spanish is fuzzy, and the guy is particularly insistent and doesn’t give me any good reason to be particularly MEAN to him, it does take awhile to get them to go away. I am curious to know what Ryan said to the guy, because it worked really well and he didn’t even get feisty and try to pick a fight or anything! I always try NOT to let my guy friends get involved in a situation where a guy is hitting on me and I don’t want him to, just because if the guy gets upset or belligerent and violent, it’s very unlikely he’ll hit me (at least in Spain, from what I can tell), but it is VERY likely he would hit a guy friend who’s trying to defend me. Plus, I can defend myself pretty well, sometimes it just takes me awhile to put my foot down, you know? I’m way too nice. I feel like any guy who has the guts to come straight up to me and say, “I’m crazy about you, please go out with me” deserves at least a kind rejection, you know? No, maybe I’m just way too nice. Anyways, that was my second interesting encounter of the night.

So, after getting home and into bed at around 4 am, I woke up at 8:15 so I could go up to las Alupjarras with my friend Katie the next morning. Haha, weee! I was really impressed with how it wasn’t too difficult at all, actually. I was sleepy, of course, but I didn’t even have a headache or anything like that. My hair still smelled like bar, but I just put it up and said to myself, I’ll deal with that later. We didn’t really have a plan, so once we got up into the mountains, we just got off the bus in a little town called Órgiva, and were like, now what? Once we realized how stupid we were for not having planned anything at ALL, we couldn’t stop laughing at ourselves. We found the tourism office, got a few rather unhelpful maps, had a coffee and some lunch, and then set off on a random road out of town to explore the mountains a bit. We ended up having a blast wandering around the town and up this beautiful curvy road where we met a doggy friend, who we named Waldo. He was adorable and followed us all the way up and most of the way down the road, and I wuv him. It was a great day, and super fun to just get out of town and explore a different, beautiful part of the area with a good friend.

I got back home at around 7:30 at night, and went into my room for a bit to empty my bag and settle in. I put my headphones in for a few minutes while I was putting my pictures on my computer, and when I took them out, I heard Concha throwing up in the bathroom. I came rushing into the hall (of course), and her best friend was coming in at the same moment—Concha must have called her when she started not feeling well. Concha literally looked grayish green and like she might faint, but she didn’t want to go to the doctor or anything like that, so we put her to bed, and then her friend left. I was, of course, worried about her, but there wasn’t exactly much I could do—I know from experience that sometimes you just need to sleep that stuff off, especially stomach flu-like illnesses. I took a quick shower, then went to bed, too, but I left both our bedroom doors open so I could hear her snoring and know she was ok. Eventually I fell asleep (really early, I imagine, since I got into bed at around 10), and when I woke up at 10:30 this morning, my door was closed and Concha was up and about, doing her normal Sunday stuff. I got up and asked her how she was, and she said she’s feeling ok, although still a little punky, of course. She had plans to go see La Traviata tonight, but I don’t know if she’ll end up going. I told her to just sit down and take the day off, but she’s super stubborn and insists on doing SOMETHING, even if it’s just dusting, so that she doesn’t feel so useless. I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on her over the next few days, but I think the worst is over. Uy uy uy, what a semester of stomach illnesses it has been! What is up with that?

This next weekend we’re going to Madrid with our program, which is super exciting!! Then it’s only a few more weeks until midterms—eek! I have no idea what to expect, because I still haven’t turned in any work to any of my teachers, but I don’t think it will be TOO awful. I guess we’ll see. :)

I hope everyone is doing well and that you’re all enjoying the beginnings of Spring wherever you are!

Pura vida,
Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. wow...
    ... random spaniards indeed...
    puppies found..
    grey green Concha...
    sounds like a wild and wooley weekend indeed...

    ReplyDelete